Knuckles Pizza Review

Being from the Quad Cities, Quad Cities style pizza has a near and dear spot in my heart. When I think of Quad Cities style pizza, I think strips of pizza that have a toasty and sweet crust. I also think of a nicely seasoned sauce and my favorite toppings.

Since I go to school in Peoria, IL, true Quad Cities style pizza is hard to come by. One recommendation that I received was a pizza place called Knuckles. Knuckles advertises Quad Cities style pizza, so I thought this food review would be centered around comparing “real” Quad Cities style pizza to “fake” Quad Cities style pizza.

One of my favorite pizza places at home (the Quad Cities) is a place called Harris Pizza. Harris Pizza is known as being the original Quad Cities style pizza. They do a great job at creating my favorite pizzas such as: taco pizza and sausage pizza. The taco pizza is piled high with sausage, lettuce, tomatoes and taco chips. The sausage pizza is loaded with finely grated sausage layered with cheese on top.
Harris Taco Pizza

Harris Sausage Pizza
With high expectations of Quad Cities style pizza, I ordered a half sausage half taco pizza from Knuckles. I paid something like $27 for the pizza. I opened the box and I was automatically disappointed. The taco pizza was topped with wilted lettuce, not many tomatoes, and NO CHIPS. I thought to myself "What kind of taco pizza is this???" The sausage was not piled high and
Knuckles Pizza (Sausage on the left and Taco on the right)
the crust was not toasty and sweet. The sauce tasted like it had no spices added to it. For $27 I received a pizza that I didn't even eat half of.

If you want good Quad Cities style pizza, travel to the Quad Cities. Please

don't waste your money at Knuckles.

Comments

  1. I'm so sad you didn't get to have a good Quad Cities pizza experience. I didn't realize taco pizzas were supposed to have chips. Also, I don't think the sausage side of your Knuckles pizza looks awful? Was that one bad? It reminds me of a place that I love in Indiana called "Pizza King" which makes me miss it so much. There's always better pizza out there, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is heartbreaking to read about a pizza place that can't even make a decent taco pizza. I love taco pizza and after seeing the picture you took from Knuckles it is just a shame. Also, spending $27 on that pizza wasn't even worth it. I will definitely have to take a ride to the Quad Cities and eat at Harris Pizza. This made me think about my favorite pizza place "Happy Joes" who makes a killer Taco Pizza. I'm sorry that you had an awful experience hopefully you can go back their during Fall Break and get your delicious pizza.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Joes is so so good! I eat there very ofter! Happy Joes and Whitey's Ice Cream are a staple.

      Delete
  3. I have never been to knuckles but I have heard of it! My favorite pizza places in town potentially for your next review would be tyronis or agatuccis. I have family in the Quad cities and their pizza is so good so i'm sad knuckles dropped the ball. Better luck next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not being an Illinois native, I have never had Quad Cities pizza before. I have heard of it, but I will have to try it for myself next time I drive through the Quad Cities. Now I know not to try Knuckles! Looking forward to more food reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 100% agree! Did you know the owners of Knuckles bought Little Raven in CampusTown......I think there's a reason it's no longer there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This reminds me. I just heard of something yummy coming to the Little Raven space. If only I could remember what...

      Delete
  6. Did you know Taco Pizza is an Illinois thing? I had no idea, because it's been around here forever (and always with chips), but family from other areas were like, what?!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment