Chicken Tortilla Soup Review


Every person has their own skills and talents. Some people are good at sports, while other people are good at art or music. While all of these skills and talents can create value, they aren’t the most practical. The one skill/talent that is most practical (in my opinion) is the ability to cook a good meal that creates community.

With this in mind, the meal I am reviewing is a home-cooked meal prepared by my girlfriend's wonderful mother. She is an excellent all-around cook, but chicken tortilla soup is one of my favorite dishes she prepares. The first time I tried her chicken tortilla soup, I could not get enough. Many soups can be quite simple, meaning an individual has to throw a few ingredients into a pot and the soup is done. While these soups can be comforting on a cold winter day, there are no differentiating factors that make simple soups superior. On the other hand, complex soup can change the soup game. A simple soup is more of a side dish, while a complex soup is a meal. So, what category does this chicken tortilla soup fall into? Complex soup!

This complex chicken tortilla soup has many ingredients that complement each other well. The main ingredients in the soup are chicken, pinto beans, black beans, kidney beans, corn, tomatoes, onions, and some secret ingredients. While these ingredients alone would make a tasty soup, extra toppings add to the complexity of the soup. These extra toppings are lightly toasted and salted tortilla strips, green onions, diced tomatoes, sour cream, and shredded cheese.

When everything is mixed together, you have a multitextured and multi-flavored soup. The creaminess of the broth and the crunch of the lightly toasted tortilla strips act as a filling dinner. While I have not had another chicken tortilla soup, I can say that I do not have to try another to know this one is a perfect 10 out of 10. So, the next time you are looking to make a tasty chicken and tortilla soup, hit me up for the secret recipe. 

Comments

  1. Can't go wrong with a home cooked meal! Sounds really good, now I need to get soup today.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment